Dear Dad, Mom, Liz, Kirstie, Ashlynn, McKay, Family and Friends,
When I was preparing for my mission and when I arrived here in Brazil, I had no idea how hard this work would be. I also never had any idea how much joy I would experience and how much I would love the people here. I can say now, after only being on my mission for almost four months, that missionary work and serving a mission is the only time you can truly work with all your heart might, mind and strength. This past week I was struggling a bit because I still can´t speak the language like I would like and I was getting frustrated. That is when my amazing companion sat down and talked with me and told me to be patient, rely on the Lord, be willing to learn when you make mistakes and don´t forget to smile. After that night I have changed my attitude and I have truly seen that with the Lord and a positive attitude, all things are possible. Sunday we witnessed a miracle as I performed my first Portuguese confirmation on Gustavo, who was baptized two Sundays ago and Shirlei, the Mom of a recent convert,was baptized after putting her faith and trust in the Lord. The gospel is true and with faith and prayer, the darkest day can be made bright.
On a side note, the food here is great. Rice, Chicken or Beef, Pasta, Beans and Soda for every lunch is great, I am definately staying well fed. The weather here is like Oregon one day it is pretty cold and the next day it is hot and humid. Regardless of how much I get fed or what the weather is like I am striving my best to serve with all my heart, might, mind and strength.
I love you all and thank you for your letters and emails of support.
Love,
Elder Hokanson

No comments:
Post a Comment