Monday, May 20, 2013

May 20, 2013 A Mighty Change of Heart in Luiz, Harvesting Oranges and Shoveling Rubble at Cristiano´​s House, Klaus Being Baptized

Dear Family and Friends,
 
What an amazing past week it was. We had the opportunity to be a part of and watch a child of God (Klaus) enter the waters of baptism and three of God´s children (Katiane, Douglas and Klaus) become official members of the church by being confirmed, receiving the Holy Ghost. Also I participated in my first ever reconfirmation of Kaoane who I confirmed last week. I was advised after the sacrament meeting by Elder Hobbs and Crisitiano, our ward mission leader, that I only confirmed her as a ``member of the Church of Jesus Christ´´ and so I reconfirmed her yesterday as a ``member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints´´, because the wording has to be exact to be valid.  We went to her house after lunch yesterday to redo her confirmation as a member of the church, and right before we were about to confirm her, one of her drunk uncles entered the house and announced that he was drunk and he would like to sing a song for us. As Elder Hobbs and I looked at him, with a confused look on our faces, he began singing at the top of his lungs a evangelical song and playing his guitar about the Savior on a capsizing boat in the sea. it was quite amusing, Elder Hobbs and I couldn´t help but laugh as the nieces and nephews of this drunken man were laughing and plugging the ears as their uncle belted out this evangelical song. At last he left and we reconfirmed Kaoane, as her uncle continued playing his guitar and singing right outside the house. Away from this interesting experience at Kaoane´s house, this past week we saw the Spirit and the gospel move the heart of a man I met earlier this month. 
A week and a half ago I talked with a one legged man and owner of a bar, named Luiz, in the road. When I presented myself as a missionary and began to talk about our message as missionaries, he rudely replied back to me that churches do no good and that man has created churches with the sole purpose of gaining money, and that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was no different. He then told me that he didn´t want anything to do with me or the church. However, when he said this I saw it as an excellent opportunity to correct him and teach him how the Church and how not one of the leaders earn money to serve in the church. When he heard this, and when Elder Hobbs and I promised him that through the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and the church he can return to live with his wife and kids who separted from him a while ago, he took our challenge and went to church on the 12th for sunday school. We passed by this past week and saw a new light in his eyes and he accepted the invitation to be baptized in June. Then yesterday he went to all 3 hours of church and left after the last meeting with a smile on his face, something I never thought I would see when he angerily talked to me a couple weeks ago in the road.
I know that the spirit and restored gospel will move your life for the better and put a smile on your face, just as it has with Luiz. Remember the knowledge of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ doesn´t do any good, if you don´t live it.
I love you all thanks for your love and support. Have a great week and smile :) !
 
Ame,

Elder Jonathan Hokanson  
Jonathan and Elder Ribero at Ice Cream Social.
Last photo together before Elder Ribero goes home in two weeks.


PS: Attached is a picture of yesterday´s baptism of Klaus. A 9 year old son of less active members, who are returning to activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment