Yet another week has flown by here in Ponta Grossa, Brasil. I feel like this is a common phrase in almost all my emails, but I decided to say it again, because it is so true.
This week started off on a high note, on Tuesday, when we visited for just the second time a big, black, tatooed man named Marco, who´s addicted to smoking, on average one pack a day- 20 cigarettes. Elder Hobbs talked to his wife, Adriane, in the road one evening a little over a week ago, and scheduled a day to pass by. The first time we taught them, Marco and his two sons, Richard and Cristian, easily accepted the invitation to be baptized in Christ´s true church. His wife accepted, but a little more reluctlently as she is a active member of the Baptist church. Two Sundays ago, we passed by in the church school bus and Marco and his friend, Alex, came aboard and attended the three hours of church. When we passed by Tuesday night, Marco and his two sons were at home, and they warmly accepted us. As we entered his house, Marco sat us down, and boldly exclaimed, ``I loved going to church yesterday, I will continue going to church with you all´´. We then shared with him our testimonies and taught the commandement, the Word of Wisdom which explains 5 substances (cigarettes, coffee, tea, drugs and alcohol) that we should avoid to stay healthy and free of sin. He then said, ``Let me tell you something... I know that the church you two represent is true because for the first time in my life I entered a church and had no desire to go outside the building and smoke, during the meetings. Which is a desire I have had every time I have gone to various churches, these past 21 years in which I have smoked´´. When he said this I couldn´t help but think ``Amen brother´´. It is incredible to feel the Spirit of an investigator or recent convert share their testiomony as Marco did. We then set a few goals with him to stop smoking by Sunday and he agreed to it. Then we passed by his house on Wednesday night he said, ``I smoked the last 10 cigarettes in my pack today``, which was way more than the goal of 5 cigarettes a day he could smoke. He then said, ``I smoked those last 10 cigarettes today and I will not smoke anymore!´´ When he said this I was super astonished and happy at how the Spirit had been working a miracle in Marco. As we followed up the following day he still hadn´t smoked another cigarette, but on Friday night we called him, only to find out that he had to go to the hospital due to a massive headache, and uncontrollable shaking, due to lack of nicotine and coffee, which he stopped drinking. When we followed up with Marco ontem he said that he is taking medication and returned to smoke only 2 cigarettes to help get his body back under control. Marco is an amazingly strong, will powered man, that we are planning on helping him stop smoking this week, so he can be baptized on June 23rd.
I love this work and I know miracles, like the miracles that Marco is experiencing, are possible as we rely on the Lord, read the Book of Mormon and pray every day and go to church each Sunday. Put the Lord to the test this week and I promise that the miracles will happen in your lives and the lives of your family.
I love you all! Until next week :)
Ame,
Elder Jonathan Hokanson
PS- Attached is a picture of me and President and Sister Cordon on Friday, at the end of their last leadership council before they return home at the beginning of next month.

No comments:
Post a Comment