Wednesday, April 25, 2012

First Week In Brazil

At the Provo Temple


Jonathan and Elder Crandall (missionary who taught Steven Card)



















Dear Dad, Mom, Liz, Kirstie, Ashlynn, McKay, Family and Friends,
This past week was my first full week in Sao Paulo Brazil. Although I´m not in the city everyday talking to people on the street I have come to really love it here at the CTM, or MTC for all you americans out there. :) The first day in Brazil, right after we walked off the airplane felt like we were in a sauna because it is very hot and humid here. I thought I would be used to the humidity and heat after a couple days, but to my surprise it still feels like us missionaries are in a 24/7 sauna. Every night, with the exception of one, I have slept without a blanket because if you do you just wake up in the morning super sweaty and gross feeling. Luckily yesterday and today the ac in the building has been working so it´s not too humid and hot while we are in class all day. 
If I had to describe this past week in a few words, they would be humbling, busy, spiritual, hot, humid and fun. The day after arriving here in the CTM, it was go, go, go. We met our new district and they are actually really amazing people with amazing stories and great spirits. This week was vveerryy  hhuummbblliinngg  because I went from the Provo MTC where a lot of english was being spoken to the ctm here in brazil and very few people here speak english and as we practice teaching investigators in Portuguese it has been difficult and at times frustrating because I  can´t express my true feelings and thoughts because I don´t know very much portuguese. I wanted a humbling experince while I was on my mission, and I guess I got it because I feel helpless trying to learn Portuguese in such a short period of time, so I´ve prayed and relyed on God more than I ever had because I can´t spread this amazing gospel and message without his help and the spirit. 
This past Monday we had the amazing  experience of hearing from two members of the seventy and an apostle of Jesus Christ. Elder Mazagardi, Whitney Clayton and Quinton L Cook spoke to us about the importance of being sharp clean instruments that the Lord can use to perform spiritual surgery on the people we teach. Elder Cook also gave an apostolic blessing to us that this mission is the best possible thing we as  Elders can be doing and that all those we love will be blessed in one way or another because of our faithful service. There truly is a prophet of God and apostles on the earth today and I am so privliaged to be able to spread his gospel to the people of Brazil.  
I love you all and will talk to you soon!!!
Love,
Elder Hokanson

1 comment:

  1. Portuguese is such a beautiful language! What an amazing opportunity Jonathan has to really induldge in the culture and language. So exicited for him!

    ReplyDelete