Sunday, July 29, 2012

July 9 - Learning the Ups and downs of Missionary Work

Dear Dad, Mom, Liz, Kirstie, Ashlynn, McKay, Family and Friends,

This past week was one of the most emotionally up and down weeks that I´ve had on the mission. Aside from being mentally, physically and spiritually drained at the end of each day, this past week I experienced my first blisters on my feet during the mission and my whole body was aching and sore from a ward family home evening that Elder Evans and I gave a lesson for. We gave a lesson on the Atonement of Christ and we decided to do an object lesson. I acted as Christ as my companion gave a piece of candy to everyone in attendence, which was about 70 people. For each piece of candy that was given out, I had to do a push up. After doing 70 push ups, Elder Evans proceeded to give more candy to all those that wanted more, so I ended up doing over 200 pushups. To say the least I was dead tired when all the candy had been given out. We compared this to the Atonement because the redeeming power of the Atonement is sweet and we receive the blessings regardless of if we ask for them. Jesus Christ payed the ultimate sacrifice and sacrificed for the sins of all mankind and I am exceedingly grateful for that. For the next few days after our lesson, my arms and body were extremely sore and I grew to really appreciate the Savior´s sacrifice for me.
Yesterday I gave my first talk in Portuguese to the ward here in Paranaguá. I talked about the sacrifices that we make every day and the sacrifices the pioneers and Christ made. It truly was a miracle because all the ward members said they could understand me. The lord does workl miracles.

I love you all

Elsder hokanson


No comments:

Post a Comment