Monday, October 8, 2012

General Conference, Dragging a Car Out of an Intersection and Helping Ruth Receive an Answer to Her Prayers

This weekend was quite the experience. For the first time in my entire life I watched all five sessions of general conference, took notes and stayed awake. I know quite the accomplishment. Oh yeah did I mention ALL 5 SESSIONS OF GENERAL CONFERENCE WERE COMPLETELY IN PORTUGUESE (With the exception of the choirs singing). I don´t know if I have ever felt the Spirit so strongly in a generall conference than I did this past weekend. The highlight was: Elder Richard G Scott, one of the modern day apostles of Jesus Christ, made a recording of his talk in Portuguese beforehand and so we got to listen to his voice instead of a portuguese translator like all the other talks. It truly is a testament that he is an apostle of God, he is in 80´s and he can still speak fluent Portuguese and English. I was filled with the Spirit this weekend and gained the desire from Presidente Monson Elder Nelson, Elder Christofferson, Elder Holland and Elder Bednar´s talks that I need to ask myself if I truly love the Savior every day then go out into the world and prove my love through my thoughts, words, and actions.
Aside from an amazing portuguese filled general conference, Wednesday was a great day. While we were talking to Jose, our recent convert, a broken pickup that was getting dragged by a semi, came unhooked and got stuck in the middle of the intersection. Being quick to act, energetic young men we ran to the intersection and with the help of two other men picked up this pickup dragging it to the side of the road with the two wheels that were left on the car. We then helped the men lift the pickup so they could tie it up to the the semi and drag it away. To say the least I felt like a super hero, picking up a car and saving the other cars on the road from an accident.
Lastly, Wednesday night, Ruth, one of our investigators told me that on Saturday the 29th of September she was praying to feel the spirit to know if the Church was true. She then told me that as I confirmed Anny in sacrament meeting the 30th. She was overwhelmed with the Spirit and began to cry because of the words I had said. She then told us she knows the church is true from this experience. I know that the Lord answers our prayers and many times it is through the words and actions of others. Follow the promptings of the Spirit...you won´t regret it. 

I love you all, thanks for the letters, emails and prayers of love and support!

Love,

Elder Jonathan Hokanson

No comments:

Post a Comment