Sunday, February 24, 2013

October 22, 2012 Guarapuava- A Beautiful New Area, An Awesome Brasilian Companion and an Amazing Traning by President Godoy

This past week was one of the busiest and most tiring yet. This past week marked my first week in this beautiful city of Guarapuava, which is filled with hills, beautiful, ponds and lakes and many sheeky houses and apartments, at times I almost feel like I am back in the United States, but then I realize that I am thinking and speaking in Portuguse and so are all the people around me. I don´t think I realized before, since I had American companions for the past 6 months, but I actually am forgetting English and I am becoming more and more fluent every day. Everyone here, with a few exceptions of the elderly we teach who are hard of hearing and teenagers who don´t want to understand, can understand me and I am consatantly being complimented on how well I speak for an American. It truly is a blessing having a Brasilan, Elder Ribeiro, as a companion who constantly is helping me with my Portuguese, complimenting me and serving me with a smile on his face. 
To cap a long week that began with transfers, on Thursday morning as 3 am we woke up and drove 3 hours in a small bus to Ponta Grossa, where we were trained by President Godoy of the 70. While there Sister Cordon shared  my and Elder Funk´s miracle story, without specifically using our names, of the 4 baptisms we had at the end of September to illustate that with faith and hard work all things are possible. From President Godoy I learned that we as missionaries, members and non members of the church we need to always remember who we were before this life (Spirit Children of God), who we are now (Children of God), and who we can become, (Gods and Goddesses).

This work is the work of the Lord and we each have the responsibilty to establish the church where we are. 

I love you all, thanks for the love and support!

Love,

Elder Jonathan Hokanson

No comments:

Post a Comment