Sunday, February 24, 2013

February 11, 2013 Fireball!

The baptism of Karina, the elect daughter of God we baptized, last Sunday  February 3 2013

Last Monday night to celebrate my son´s first baptism we bought a pizza and Guaraná and celebrated with our district leader, Elder Nunes of São Paulo, and Elder Grigg of Southern California in our house.

Dear Family and Friends,

This past week was quite eventful, but unfortunately I don´t have much time to write about it all. So I´ll just give to quick highlights...

Thursday afternoon as Elder Kakuschke and I were in our house preparing spaghetti and garlic french bread to eat for lunch, I decided to light the gas oven we have, that is powered by a propane tank to the side, to preheat it to toast the garlic bread. About three minutes later I opened the oven to put the bread in and realized the flame had gone out. What I didn´t realize that the whole oven had filled with propane gas. As a natural reaction I grabbed the matches and put my arm in the oven to light the burners and within a slit second of that a giant flame ball shot out of the oven  minorly burning my hand and finger tips and burning the majority of my hair on my right arm. The whole rest of the day my hand hurt pretty bad but after putting burn cream on my hand and arm and a few prayers with hand and arm are practically normal aside from the fact that it looks like I shaved half the hair on my right arm.

Then yesterday after eating churrasco at a member´s house we were giving our lunch message on the importance of member missionary work, when we heard a loud ´´BANG`` outside. When the member´s looked out the window they saw that a car had smashed into the irmão´s old blue vw bug. As the member, who´s house we were at, is a police officer he went into police mode as the man tried to drive away. So instead of finishing our lunch message, Evandro, the member police officer ran outside, shoved the man back into the driver seat of his car and took his keys away until the on duty policial could show up. It turns out that he had a 2.01 blood alcohol level and he told Evandro that he had been drinking ´´in all the bar´´. To best use our time we closed our message with the men in the road, went back inside their house and said a closing prayer with the member´s wives. 

Truly the mission is an experience of a lifetime, and I am loving it more than ever here in Guarapuava! This coming is Monday is transfers so we will see if I will end up spending 6 more weeks here in Guarapuava training Elder Kakuschke.

I love you all thanks for the prayers, love and support!

Amo,

Elder Jonathan Hokanson  


No comments:

Post a Comment