Sunday, February 24, 2013

October 30, 2012 Forgetting English and Eating Lunch in Rio Dos Mortes

Dear Family and Friends,

Well the event finally occured this past Tuesday...I forgot howe to speak English. As Elder Ribeiro and I were with a member who´s preparing to serve a mission, we ran into a man named Felipe. When Elder Ribeiro tried speaking Poruguese yo him he reponded that he was from France and didn´t speak very much Portuguese. That is when I had the prompting to ask him if he spoke English and he reponded, ``I speak better English than Portuguese.`` When he said this I thought proudly to myself...It´s a good thing I´m American and know English. However, as I tried to speak to him in English, I was humbled to realize that I was speaking to him in Portuguese. As I tried talking to him I could only think in Portuguese and I had a hard time traslating what I wanted to say in English. In the end I was able to receive his address in my broken english and I was humbled to realize that I am truly losing myself in this work.
To end the week of Friday we traveled 20 minutes out of town and into a rural area where we ate lunch at a member´s house. When we got to his house it was a little house in the middle of the woods with chickens, dogs and goats roaming around. As we ate lunch he made the comment that the salad we were eating was homegrown. Then I jokingly asked, ``Oh, is the chicken homegrown too?`` He responded ``Yes, freshly killed too.`` I was startled to realize I was eating one of the chickens that were walking around just outside his house.

I love you all, Have a great week!

Love, 

Elder Hokanson

No comments:

Post a Comment