Monday, March 25, 2013

Freezing in the Cold, Windy and Rainy Weather and Marilda´s Miracle

Querido Amigos e Família, 


Fall/Winter have officially arrived here in Guarapuava just in time for transfers this coming Monday. Thursday night as we taught our recent convert, Karina, I just about froze to death because it rained a ton, during the day and because of the super high humidity and the cold front that blew in, I was freezing. Two months ago I never thought I would say I want the heat back, but when you leave your house like we did Thursday morning thinking it would be warm, and not taking a coat or a sweater, you pray for the heat to come back. From what I hear from the locals here it will only get colder, sometimes below freezing but it very rarely snows, everyone just freezes. With transfers this next Monday maybe I´ll get transferred back to the warmth of Paranaguá. I am super excited to see where the Lord wants me. If I leave Guarapuava I´ll be super sad because I love my companion and the people here, but I know I will go where the Lord needs me most.
Friday we had a miracle happen. Marilda, a woman in her mid 50´s,  who we´ve been working with for over two months has been trying to stop drinking coffee for about two months now. However, in these past two months the longest she went without coffee was one or two days, but she returned to drink coffee everytime. She always used the excuse I am still drinking coffee, but it is only a little with almost a cup full of milk. Every time she said this we explained to her we can´t justify super big or super small sins, that fact is that coffee is a sin and no unclean thing can enter God´s presence. Throghout this whole time of teaching her we truly felt she had the desire to change but she was so caught up in this addiction that it was super hard for her to leave coffee behind. We had offered her to buy her cevada when we first taught her the word of wisdom in January, but she told us she tried it in the past and didn´t like it, so it wouldn´t do any good. After not much progress with her, this past week we felt impressioned to buy cevada for her on Friday. When we arrived Friday night at her house we arrived at just the right time with the cevada, because she was heating up the milk on the stove to make her coffee that she´s been addicted to these past 50 years. Elder Nunes, my district leader from São Paulo, then talked to her and helped respond to her duvidas and questions. When we ended the lesson and gave her the cevada as a present. She happily accepted it, and in that moment I had a prayer in my heart that the cevada we had given her would help her give up coffee. About an hour later as we talked to her sister Maria next door, Marilda entered the house to grab a few things and made the comment that she drank cevada instead of coffee and said that it was delicious and doesn´t have the desire to drink coffee anymore. As of yesterday morning she only drank cevada and not coffee. We are planning to have her baptism this weekend before transfers on Monday. I attribute this miracle with Marilda to personal revelation, and her daily prayers, reading the Book of Mormon and going to church almost every Sunday this past month. As we strive to obey the commandments the Lord will truly prepare the way for us to keep them as Nephi famously is known for saying in 1 Nephi 3:7. Put this scripture to the test and I promise you as a representative of  Jesus Christ that miracles will happen and the Lord will show you how to obey the specific commandment you are struggling with.

Tenha uma semana maravilhosa! Eu amo todos de vocês! :)



Ame,

Elder Jonathan Hokanson

No comments:

Post a Comment