Monday, March 11, 2013

March 4 -Talking in English with a Homeless Man From Tunsania- North Africa and Getting Attacked By Fleas During the Night in Our Apartment

Dearest Family and Friends,

To say the least this past week was one I will never forget. It consisted of my companion doing a street contact at about 7:30 at night on Wednesday and then coming to realize that the man spoke 6 languages fluently, and Portuguese was not one of them. It turned out that this man who´s name is Ohtman was from Tunsania, North Africa and is muslim. Unfortunately he didn´t like to speak directly about religion and God, but being sly I mixed teaching of the restored gospel into the 45 minute conversation we had on the road. He told us he has been in Brasil for 8 months and when he talked to us it was the first full on conversation that he had and underdstood in the past  8 months. He fled Tunsania because of the civil was that is happening there and when he began his travels here in Brasil he had all his luggage and passport stolen, so now he is living on the streets here in Guarapuava for the next couple weeks until, his arabic friend can get him help from the government. It is truly a blessing to be able to speak almost three languages fluently and meeting so many different types of people I absolutley love it.
Tuesday night until Saturday night I got bit like crazy while sleeping by fleas, so now I have flea bites that itch like crazy all over my body, yet another sign I´m on the mission. Luckily we bought medication and flea killer, so I hope tonight will be a flea free night. :)
Yesterday in Fast and Testimony meeting was one of the sweetest most spiritual meetings on the mission. The future mother in law of Guilherme, Irmã Jane, her daughter, Jenifer, now fully active in the church, Guilherme, recent convert of 9 days and Karina, recent convert of 1 month all bore their testimonies. Irmã Jane thanked Elder Kakuschke and I personally in her testimony admist tears for helping perform the miracle of reactivating two of her four children and baptizing her future son in law, Guilherme. She told us she loved us and that she thinks of as sons. I love this work, especially that now I am seeing the fruits of my labors. There is no where better to be than serving my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in the Brasil Curitiba mission. 

I love you all, thanks for the emails and cards of love and encouragement!

Tenha uma semana maravilhosa e escolha o que é certo!

Ame,

Elder Jonathan Hokanson 

No comments:

Post a Comment