Monday, November 4, 2013

August 26 - Move to Inbox More 69 of about 129 Why this ad? UNC - MBA @ UNC - Top-ranked UNC Kenan-Flagler offers an MBA online to fit your lifestyle. Expand all Print all In new window Elder De Magalhães Last Week in the Mission Field, Teaching Haitians and Having Difficulty Talking in English when a Man from Israel asked me for directions

Dear Family and Friends,
 
What a week it has been. After being in a trio of missionaries for a little over a month with Elder Valles, of Peru, and Elder De Magalhães, of Recife, I am back in a normal missionary companionship as Elder De Magalhães completed an honorable 2 year mission on Friday morning. I am feeling even more burdened down and resposible as now up until September 2nd I will be the zone leader of 21 other missionaries by myself. However, I have faith that all will work out and the Lord and his angels will support me. I have learned that on my feet alone I am super weak and the natural man is strong, but as I am on my knees praying, the natural man is weak and I am strong witht the Spirit on my side.
On Tuseday night we had our third visit with a couple, Judith and Renel, that moved to Brasil from Haiti two years ago after the massive earthquake. In order to help them understand our message completely we watched the Dvd the Restoration in French. Although I didn´t understand the majority of what was said in french I felt the Spirit testify to me that Judith and Renel felt the truthfullness of our message and the restoration becasue they heard it in their native tounge. 
Lastly on Thursday, when we were going to the mission office to pick up Elder De Maghalhães, I aw a man in the bus tube who looked like he was amish. I thought to myself, he must be from that amish town in Pennsylvania. Just after I thought that, he approached me and asked me if I spoke a little english. I told him yes, and he told me that he arrived in Brasil two days earlier from his home in Israel and was lost, as he was trying to go to a Hebrew school. As we continued talking, he asked me how I spoke such good English and I told him I was American. He was like, ``Well that makes sense.´´ I then helped him find the hebrew school her was going to. As I helped him I realized I mixed my English and Portuguese a lot. I guess that´s what happens when you are in a foreign country for over a year. I know kust as Alma 5:38 states, ``I as a representative of Christ, am one of his shepards that has the responsibilty of call to repentence all of the ``sheep´´ or people that I meet. This is the work of the Lord, for the first time in a long time, a increasing number of God´s children are hearing the sheperds voice, repenting and entering the waters of baptism here in the Brasil Curitiba mission. 
 
I love you all, thanks for the love and support. Have a great last week of summer break...all you oregonians! :)
 
Ame,
 


Elder Jonathan Hokanson  

No comments:

Post a Comment