Monday, November 4, 2013

July 29 - New Companion, Elder Valles and Getting Freshened Up with my Spanish Speaking Abilities

Dear Family and Friends,
 
Once again I am super short on time as my responsibilities as a missionary zone leader and trainer took up the majority of my email time.
This past week was super busy as we had transfers and we helped the missionaries, that were living with us in our house, move to a new house closer to their area. On Tuesday afternoon, Elder De Magalhães and I received our new missionary companion that we will train, Elder Valles of Tarapoto, Peru. I can tell that we will get along great, as he is from the country I fell in love with 3 years ago when I spent two weeks doing humanitarian service. He is super humble and always is laughing and smiling, partly because he doesn´t understand everything and he told us that he laughs and smiles when he doen´t understand what others are saying...to say the least we've heard him laugh the majority of this past week.
Saturday night I had a very unique and spiritual experience as I interviewed a woman from Haiti, who only spoke creole and french, as I don´t know either we asked a member who was recently baptized to be the translator in the baptismal interview. As this member was from Haiti as well and only spoke creole, French and Spanish I did the interview in a broken spanish mixed with portuguese and I saw the Spirit work in the interview as the translator understood everything I said. I know that the Spirit works miracles and is the common language between everyone in the world.
 
Have a great week...thank you all for the love and support.
 
Ame,
 
Elder Jonathan Hokanson 

No comments:

Post a Comment