Monday, October 7, 2013

July 15 A Week of Sleep Deprivation

Dear family and friends,

This past week Elder De Magalhães and I had our 8 hours of  sleep ( which is essential for a full time missionary who works 16 hours a day) cut short almost every single day. On Tuesday morning we woke up at 4:30 am to get ready and ride the bus an hour to the chapel in Baragui where we had a zone leader training and mission conference with 70 of the 100 or so missionaries that are in the Brasil Curitiba mission. Wednesday we woke up at 6 am to finish preparing our 2 and half hour zone conference training that we gave to our zone of 20 missionaries. Thursday and Friday we woke up at 6:15 am to put in practice what we learned from President Monteiro on Tuesday. We learned that we know we are giving our maximum if we do more than what is asked of us. He then counseled us to give our maximum with the missionary schedule and said instead of getting up at 6:30 am as stated in the mission rules, wake up earlier to give your maximum. To end our week of sleep deprivation, I woke up at 6:10 am to finish a division we did with the missionaries in Pinhais, a neighboring city.
Tuesday afternoon I had a unique experience. While in a house of a new family we were teaching I had a 91 year old woman hit on me. She entered the room, where we were teaching, near the end of our message and greeted my companion normally and when she gave me a hand shake she looked into my eyes and said, ``Well aren´t you good looking.´´ I awkwardly said thanks and we continued with our lesson. As we finished our message she commented again, ``Has anyone ever told you that you are really good looking...because you are.´´ She then grabbed my hand and asked me to say a prayer for her and her headache, when she said this Elder De Magalhães and I just about died laughing. Before we had a laughing attack in front of the family, we quickly said goodbye and ran out the door to let out our laughter in the road away from the family.
This work is amazing and it is quite funny at times. I learned the importance of laughing and smiling this week, if you don´t laugh or smile, life gets pretty boring and depressing.

Have a great week. I love you all.

Ame,



Elder Jonathan Hokanson 

No comments:

Post a Comment