Monday, October 7, 2013

June 17 A Whole Different Life and Approach to Missionary Work Here in the Big City of Curitiba

Queridos amigos e família,

This past week was one of the toughest yet on the mission, and at times this week as we did contacts and visited investigators I asked myself why couldn´t have I just stayed in Bonsucesso, it was a lot easier there and the people were a lot more accepting. After pondering on my purpose I realized that I am here the the Tarumã zone because it is where the Lord is in need of me right now. I also realized that I have a lot more growing and maturing to do, and this new area, and companion will help me fulfill my true potential. I can tell this transfer will be a trial of faith and patience and I know that I have a lot to do in this area to find the elect of the lord and be the example for my companion and my zone.
This area of Vila Oficinas and the Tarumã zone (one of two zones here in Curitiba that borders the Brasil Curitiba South mission...this means that I barely missed being put in the Brasil Curitiba South Mission) are great. It is a lot different than Bonsucesso, but it is a more traditional ward/area and I feel more at home here, as the chapel is one of the most newly renovated and sheeky chapels here in the misison, a huge improvement from the old supermarket which turned a chapel in Bonsucesso. The members are great and this week Elder De Magalhães and I will do our best to use the maximum number of members in our lessons so that our investigators can be more integrated. I have learned here on the mission, that the more friends in the church an investigator or recent convert has the stronger testimony he´ll have and the more active he´ll stay in the church.
Elder De Magalhães is an awersome companion and example, he is helping me be 100% obedient and he is helping me always have a smile on my face with his sense of humor. Although only one week has passed since the beginning of the transfer, and can already tell that these next few weeks we are together will be full of hard work, fun and miracles. 
This past Saturday afternoon my testimony was strengthened and I felt the Spirit super strong, while in a division with Elder Torres, a recently arrived elder from Natal. As we delivered a church dvd titled ``The Lamb of God´´ to a reference we received, the man who let us in began attacking the Book of Mormon and the church. While Elder Torres got a little upset and tried attacking back, I felt I just needed to bear my testimony of the restoration and the Book of Mormon. I testify that a simple testimony changes a brutal enviroment into a calm, Spirit filled enviroment. As I bore my testimony of the Book of Mormon and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to this man, his countenance changed and he stopped attacking, we peacefully said a prayer and left his house. Although he did not want to accept our message I learned from this expereince, once again as I have learned so many times through the Spirit that the Book of Mormon is true and Christ´s true church is on the earth today.

I love you all, thanks for the love, support and prayers. Have an amazing week, full of opportunities to share your testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. :) 


Ame,



Elder  Jonathan Hokanson

No comments:

Post a Comment