Sunday, January 26, 2014

January 20th - The Perfect Battalion

Dear Family and Friends,
For those of you that didn´t have the time or patience this last week to translate or read my last email I will let you know where my new companion is from. The majority of people, including me, that look at my new companion before he talks thinks he is from Japan or China. However, when he begins talking to others it becomes apparent that he is from Latin America. My new companion is Elder Parra, Jhordy Parra Claure, and he is from Bolivia, Cochabamba. I like him a lot because he always likes to joke around and put a smile on my face when the times are hard. Also, he is teaching me to be very polite, an attribute that not too many Curtibanos have.  It is incredible at how well Elder Parra speaks, I can tell that truly the Lord is accelerating this work of salvation because just this last week our mission helped 48 of God´s children enter the waters of baptism. Last July when President Monteiro arrived we helped just over 50 souls receive the first ordinance of the gospel, baptism. What we did one month last year, we are almost doing in one week. Truly the field is white already to harvest and we as members and missionaries have the opportunity to be a part of Christ´s perfectly organized church.
This past Saturday Elder Parra and I clapped at gates (knocked on doors) for several hours with little success in entering in a house to teach. However at about 7 pm I had the thought to knock at a house, where a couple we had talked to in the past lived. Elder Parra and I were extremely relieved when this couple´s son, Fernando- of about 20 years, warmly accepted us in to his house. As we got to know him, we learned that he has served the past 3 years in the army. As I have learned since the beginning of my mission the importance of teaching the investigator, in accordance with his needs, instead of just teaching a  normal lesson, I had the inspiration to compare The Church of Jesus Christ with the perfect army batallion. It was incredible how interested and well Fernando understood as we compared Christ´s church to a perfect army batallion. Just as the church of Jesus Christ needs 12 apostles and 1 prophet, the perfect army batallion needs to have soldiers and a commander. If either the church or the batallion lacks one of these elements, perfection is lost. As we explained this I felt the Spirit testify to me that truly we are part of the Lord´s perfect batallion. The Savior lives and loves us and gives us trials for our learning.
I love you all, have a great week!
Com amor,
Elder Jonathan Hokanson

Mom,
 
Please pass this email to David Morgan, I came across one of his short term companions, Elder Carvalho, who served in my district and zone this last transfer. Elder Carvalho wants David to write him at this email...
 
Thanks mom, I love you!
 
Com amor,
 
Elder Hokanson

No comments:

Post a Comment