Sunday, January 26, 2014

October 28, 2013 - The Lord Answers Prayers

Dear family and friends,

This past week Elder Farr and I clapped at more gates, or as americans would say ``knocked on more doors´´, than I ever have before on my mission. We got a little sunburnt at the beginning of the week when we forgot to put on sunscreen before we left our house, but learned our lesson and put on sunscreen the rest of the week.
On Wednesday morning our zone had a meeting and a great training given by President Monteiro and his assistents. I learned that as I missionary when committing people to go to church or be baptized I am not just asking them to agree with me that they will do what I am asking, but I am commiting them to carry out what I am asking. I learned that people are truly committed when they understand the doctrine, or the Why?, of what I am asking them to do. Just as a little kid asks why? when commanded to do a task, investigators and those we come in contact with are no different, everyone needs to understand ``the why´´ if one truly wants to have success on the mission or in life. President also taught  us that repentence means Metanoia, which means broken down, Meta- Change and noia- mind. When one truly repents a change happens in the mind and the old thought and mind are left in the past.
That same day on Wednesday night Elder Farr and I truly were led by the Spirit to some of God´s daughters who were really needing our message. After spending the entire afternoon clapping at gates and contacting people, we had nothing to show for our work. However as the sun was setting, I had the thought, ``Leave this main busy road and go to a small side street.´´ When we followed this prompting we clapped at the gate of Eliane and her relatives. As we asked them how they were they told us that they were have a super hard time as their mom passed away unexpectedly a few weeks earlier. We then asked them if they would like to know where their mom, who had passed away, was. They warmly responded that they wanted nothing more than to be comforted in knowing where their mom was and how they could live with her agian as an eternal family. As we taught them that their mom was in the spirit world being taught the gospel, resting and out of pain, they were extremely comforted and said that we were an answer to their prayers and that God was watching over them. We then taught them that families can be together forever through the temples of God that are on the earth, and after hearing this they were filled with even more peace and happiness. As we retruned home on Wednesday night I realized that the Lord truly leads us to those in need, by the Spirit as we humble ourselves, and trust in Lord with a prayer always in our heart. 
Jesus Christ is our Savior, the Lord is always by our side to help strengthen the weak points in our lives and the Spirit will always be our guide as we keep the commandments. 

I love you all, Have a great halloween, keep safe and eat lots of american candy for me. 

Ame,

Elder Jonathan Hokanson

No comments:

Post a Comment