Sunday, January 26, 2014

October 7 - An inspiring general conference weekend...and yet another new companion

Dear family and friends,

This past weekend was an amazing spiritual experience as I had the opportunity to watch four seesions of general conference in english on a small tv in the relief society room of our chapel with Elder Valdez and Elder Shaw (both of Eugene/Springfield, OR)
I will include some of my favorite quotes that I hope each and everyone of you can apply in your every day life.
``God is perfect, his doctrine is pure, but we are his instruments and are imperfect...if we arrive in Christ´s perfect church- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints- and expect to find perfect people, we will be disappointed, because no one is perfect on this earth.``
``Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith.´´ - President Dieter F Uchtdorf
``Righteousness is more powerful than wickendness.´´ - President Boyd K Packer
``After all that has been said the most important duty is that of preaching the gospel.´´ - Joseph Smith
``If the bitter cup does not pass, drink it!´´ - Elder Jeffery R Holland
``It is possible to have a testimony and not live it.´´ - Bonnie L Oscarson
``Your testimony, like your body, needs to be in shape to endure.´´
``You must be the rock that the river cannot wash away.´´
``The gospel does not give us immunity over death, but victory over it.´´ -Richard J. Maynes
``When the Lord talks about weaknesses, he always has mercy.´´-Richard G Scott
``The teacher is always the student...you know you are teaching by the spirit when you learn something new from what you taught.´´ - Davis M McConkie
I know that President Thomas S, Monson is the Lord´s prophet on the earth today, if you don´t know this already you should  listen to him speak, put into practice the counsel he gives and I know that when you pray to God and ask him to confirm that President Monson is the prophet of God on the earth today you will receive a confirmation from the Holy Ghost that he is and that we are also blessed to have 12 apostles living on the earth as well. 
This past Tuesday I had the opportunity to work for 4 hours alongside Elder Azevedo, the assistent to President Monterio. I had a great time and learned from him that these two years of missionary service are extremely short so I need to use my time teach the elect of the Lord and I don´t have time to waste with people that are indecisive and aren´t willing to change right now. 
Last night, Sunday night, I got the sad news that this last week of this transfer Elder Valdez and I will not be companions any more because of two elders in our zone that weren´t working too well with eachother so we had an emergency transfer, yet again- 2nd time in these last 4 weeks. For this next week I will be companions with Elder Guimarães of Matto Grosso do Sul, Brasil. I am sad that one of my best friends of the mission, Elder Valdez, will no longer be my companion, but I know the Lord has a plan in all the events of life, and that I just need to be humble to learn from these events.

I love you all, thank you for the love, support, prayers, emails and letters. Have a great week!!!! :)

Ame,

Elder Jonathan Hokanson

No comments:

Post a Comment